I’m not really sure why gingerbread biscuits and gingerbread houses are so popular around Christmas time but its a good excuse to share a great recipe. These biscuits are perfect to give as gifts or to take along to your next Christmas gathering. Not only do they taste delicious but because they are gluten free, vegan, refined sugar free and nut free they are a good option if you or your friends have dietary requirements or wanting a ‘healthier’ option.
Makes 24 biscuits
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- 1 1/3 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca or arrowroot flour
- 1 tablespoon chia seed meal
- 1 tablespoon flax seed meal
- 1/2 cup of coconut sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 drops Cinnamon essential oil
- 2 drops Ginger essential oil
- 2 drops Clove essential oil
- 1/2 cup coconut oil or butter
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celcius.
- Combine dry ingredients in bowl and whisk.
- Combine wet ingredients in bowl and mix until well combined.
- Add essential oils.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients on slow speed until combined.
- Put a small handful of buckwheat flour onto clean surface and place dough on top.
- Roll until 1/4-1/2 inch thick.Take cookie cutter and cut out shapes.
- Place cutouts onto cookie sheet.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until done.
- Remove from oven and let cool.Top with icing if desired.
**When using essential oils for internal use its important to have high quality oils that are safe for ingestion. Please do your own research and read the labels. To get the essential oils that I use and recommend, just click here. **